The First Ride

The First Ride

Griffen Gannon, Staff Writer

Bull Riding; a sport for the adrenaline seekers. There is a lot more to the event than the average person might suspect. Beginning with the basics, a qualified ride in Bull Riding requires the rider to stay on for 8 seconds. The timer will stop when the rider’s hand comes out of the rope, or the rider touches the ground. However, there’s a catch. The rider’s free hand must stay in the air and off the bull at all times. The timer will also stop if this free hand makes contact with the bull. If completed, a ride will then be scored by judges. The score will be out of 100. The judges are looking for control in the rider, as well as a few other specifics.

Jared Biss, a freshman here at Galway, has picked up the sport. He said he started to take interest about 2 years ago. He had gotten into the sport from one of his friends, who also competes in rough stock riding events. Rough stock riding refers to bull and bronc riding. Bronc riding is semi- similar, only with a bucking horse instead of a bull. Of course, some of the other rules vary as well, due to the minor differences in the events.

Jared actually competed right in Glens Falls a couple weeks ago. Intriguingly, this was Jared’s first super competitive rodeo after many hours spent practicing and training. Jared claimed he was more nervous for the bull, and not so much for his bronc. Jared had all the right to be nervous, seeing that rough stock riding is a very risky sport. Many of the riders walk away bumped and bruised, as a result of getting knocked around. They are however, required to wear certain safety equipment. Then again, safety equipment can only go so far in protecting the riders. Jared walked away with a sprained arm from his bull ride. However, on his bronc ride, Jared had completed a full ride. He would’ve come in second, but the ride was unfortunately disqualified. This is where the rules come into play again. Jared did not have his left foot up enough when the bronc made the first jump, therefore resulting in his disqualification.

For his first competitive rodeo, Jared definitely hung tough. The world of rodeo is full of try, try agains. The sport which Jared is taking part in is definitely a risky one, and it takes a lot of courage to do what he does. Anyone who’s willing to climb on top of such a massive, wild animal definitely has a lot of guts. As they say, no guts, no glory.