NHS Teacher of the Year 2014

Kaitee Horstmann, EMC Staff Writer

barrow

After the half day Field Day on Friday of last week, most of Galway High’s students went home to enjoy the rest of their school-free day. But some did not. Galway’s branch of the National Honor Society stayed to serve teacher’s lunch at the Teacher Recognition Luncheon, where several awards were given to Galway teachers, K-12, for all they do in Galway. After all of the ziti was served and everyone was done with their brownie sundaes, the awards began.

Several teachers were recognized for their many years of service teaching in Galway. Mrs. Kalinkewicz was recognized for her service of 40 years. She also announced her retirement along with Mr. Pagano(10th grade English), Mrs. Cornthwaite(5th grade) and a few others. Congratulations! We will miss you!

One very special teacher got a very special award this year for really being there for his students and going above and beyond in the classroom. Mr. Barrow, Galway’s band teacher was nominated by National Honor Society members and voted as NHS Teacher of the Year! Camille Milton gave a speech on why Mr. barrow deserves this great honor and mentioned all the enthusiasm and dedication he puts into teaching his students.

This year is Mr. Barrow’s 21st year teaching in Galway and throughout the years he has taught many, many students to play band instruments. He takes time out of his free periods to help students having trouble with a particular piece or a musical concept. He works very hard so that they can be the best musicians possible. Mr. Barrow was very honored to receive the award and when asked if he had anything to say or anyone to thank for the award, he replied with great enthusiasm.

“It’s nice to know that all of my extra time and effort was noticed.” He works so very hard for the school, teaching from elementary all the way up to graduation. That’s Mr. Barrow’s favorite part about teaching band. “You’d think it would be something about the music,” he said, “I think it actually might be being able to watch the students grow over the nine to ten years I might know them… As musicians and as people.” He says that he is glad to make connections with students that other teachers might not get in the one or two years they may have a student.

Mr. Barrow would like to thank his students and the National Honor Society for voting him NHS Teacher of the Year. He would like to especially thank Camille Milton for her kind words at the luncheon. He was not expecting to receive the award but laughed when asked if he was surprised. “Yes! Although there was a small hint the night before…” That was Cami! “She came in and asked me a weird question and I thought to myself ‘Why would she need to know that?’”

Once again, Mr. Barrow would like to thank his students for the award and is very happy to have received it. “I guess it’s their way of thanking me!” he said. Congratulations Mr. Barrow! And thank you for all you do in our school!