Mr. Miller: A Welcome Addition to the District

Photo by Meaghan Whalen

Erik Matthews and Molly Ryan, EMC Staff Writers

March 17th marked the start of Galway’s third principal this year. He’s only been here for  for two short weeks but has already had an impact on our school. You may have seen him and the hallway, smiling and always willing to help every student he sees. Mr. Miller believes that student involvement is important and enthusiasm is contagious. He strives to educate the whole student and not just educate them inside the classroom.

Mr. Miller came from a school very close to Galway — Saratoga, a school that’s almost 4 times the size of Galway in both buildings and students enrolled. Leaving Saratoga was a big change for him, and it was tough to leave behind all of the students there since he had such strong relationships with them –the Saratoga Student Council president sometimes still asks him questions. Mr. Miller has said that it’s a good change nonetheless, since he too went to a small school throughout his high school years. He was also influenced by his high school principal to become an administrator since he was the Student Council president. He loved his high school experience and wants to give current Galway students the same experience.

Mr. Miller taught history for 18 years at all levels, but was always a little more than a history teacher. He stayed after school for several hours each day to partake in student activities such as Student Council. Mr. Miler would like to do the same thing in Galway and create a lot of energy for students to thrive on. The first word that comes to his mind when he thinks of Galway is “community.” Galway has not shocked him one bit with its kindness and community-wide friendship, since he had been told many times about how wonderful the students were. All of the students are able to know each other as they grow throughout their high school career, and Mr. Miller loves this feeling. This sense of a community gives the principal many opportunities to be close to all of the teachers and the students as well.

Outside of his school environment, Mr. Miller loves to spend time with his kids. He has two children, a daughter and and a son. He says his daughter is very involved with dance, music, and tennis. He loves to practice tennis with her, and attend all of her music concerts. His son is involved with every sport you can think of. Mr Miller really enjoys practicing a variety of sports with him including soccer, football, and baseball. However, Mr. Miller is still a workaholic outside of school, and if he is not with family, he is doing work at school. Galway is very excited to have Mr. Miller as our new principal and a new community member. He would like to let the entire student body know that his door is always open, and if you have any problems to visit him in his office.