Review: Star Wars, The Force Awakens

Casey Worcester, EMC Staff Writer

Back when I was a freshman, it was announced that Disney had bought Lucasfilm for a whopping four billion dollars and that they were making a new Star Wars movie. Since that announcement multiple trailers, toys, TV interviews, and other things have driven the hype for this movie through the roof. Lots of people were saying that the move was going to be great, and lots of people were also saying it was going to be terrible.

I’m here to say that it was fantastic, though not without its problems, though they are far and few between. I want to end the review on a positive note so let’s talk about the bad things first, because they really are nitpicky. Some people will think the plot is unoriginal, because it is. It’s obvious, however, that it was intended to feel familiar to Star Wars fans. Another problem that people may have is that the movie doesn’t answer every question that’s been raised, which is good because it leaves room for more movies. There is a certain character who appears very briefly in the movie; it feels like they were just put there for the sake of them being there and weren’t given much to do. I’m also disappointed in the fact that they underutilized two actresses that I’m a big fan of.

However, there’s a boatload of great things to enjoy in this movie. Number one being the acting. All across the board the acting is superb. Daisy Ridley and John Boyega are great as the new characters Finn and Rey. They carry the whole movie, have great chemistry, and are loads of fun to watch. Oscar Isaac as Poe Dameron is immediately likable. The main villain of the movie, Kylo Ren, is played fantastically by Adam Driver, in what is possibly the best performance in the entire movie. He is threatening, emotional, and amazing. Harrison Ford returns as Han Solo and he is wonderful. The movie is probably the funniest of all the Star Wars movies. The dialogue between the characters is hilarious and adds so much to the movie. The action is thrilling and the effects are dazzling.

Unfortunately I cannot say much more without spoiling the movie but I would have to say that if you loved the original Star Wars movies, you definitely like it.

Go see the movie and leave a comment below. What did you think of the new movie?