Watch It. Read It. Click It.

Eagles Media Center

Watch It. Read It. Click It.

Eagles Media Center

Watch It. Read It. Click It.

Eagles Media Center

Voice Your Opinion

Do you want 6 more weeks of winter?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Closed Campus Approved

This article originally appeared in the February Galway Central School District newsletter.

Closed Campus Approved

Galway Board of Education members voted 4 to 3 to adopt the closed campus system at their Dec. 16 board meeting after listening to students and the public in three board sessions.

The new closed campus policy, which will be implemented over two years, states that no students will be allowed to leave school grounds to obtain lunch unless they have a valid and specific permission for that day, which is consistent with the school rules governing authorized school absences. If a student wishes to leave school grounds for a period of time in excess of one day, the appropriate forms must be completed.

No changes will happen this year, and the current practice of juniors and seniors (with parental permission) signing out to leave campus will remain in effect until June.

Beginning next school year, only seniors will be allowed to leave campus.

Effective July 1, 2012, no students will be allowed to leave campus.

High School Principal Pete Bednarek understands the dangers of students leaving campus as well as the benefits of allowing students to take on more responsibilities.

At the board meeting he said, “I have also adhered to and often expressed my philosophy that among the important purposes of a high school is that of preparing students for the responsibilities and realities of adult life.”

Many students were involved in the process. Rebecca Strevy, a student reporter for The Footprint (the school newspaper) attended all meetings. “I don’t agree,” said Ms. Strevy. “They are taking away a privilege that has been there forever. It’s unfair.” She said she was frustrated and according to a student survey included in the December issue of The Footprint, 98.1 percent of the 260 high school students surveyed said they were not in favor of the policy passing.

Board President John Sutton said he believes that the entire board supported a thorough public consideration and discussion of the issue. He said, “We very much wanted to hear the opinions of students, parents and other community members. The board also feels strongly that it has a special and heavy responsibility to protect the welfare of the students while they are in our charge from 8 to 2:30. The majority further believed that the school could not fulfill that obligation by allowing students to leave campus during lunch.”

To see the rest of the district’s February newsletter, click on the link below:

http://www.galwaycsd.org/news.cfm?story=68021&school=0