Best time of your life??

Cori Hardcastle, EMC Staff Writer

You know how some people say that high school is the best time of your life? While that may be true for some people, it is simply jam packed full of stress and chaos. I don’t want to say that I am having a bad time in high school, however all I know is that looking back it is simply one huge blur.

High schoolers typically range from ages 14 to 18 meaning we are all at different points in our lives. There are the little freshmen attempting to manage themselves in the big scary high school–well scary high school because little old Galway can be classified as anything but big. There are the 15, 16 year olds attempting to learn to balance their first part-time job and school, or the exciting moment of learning how to drive. Then comes late Junior and Senior year where many people are starting to apply to colleges and starting to learn to manage money on their own.

On top of this schools expect us to participate in extracurricular activities whether it’s sports or clubs, and often times both. As a high school student all I know is that it’s pure chaos. Having practice every night, games, club meetings, work, and the chores at home can be crazy; let alone the crazy amounts of homework we receive. For me personally I play volleyball and softball, manage wrestling, am in a multitude of clubs, tutor students, and have a part time job lifeguarding and teaching swim lessons. I personally know that balancing all of that is insane and I am rarely home.

I think we all understand at some point in our lives sleep is rare. My brother always used the saying “sleep is for the weak” to get himself through the busy weeks ahead of him. My practices are 2-3 hours per night, homework takes at least 1-2 hours, I work 4 hour shifts 4-5 times a week, and go to all club meetings when I can. One of my favorite teachers once asked me “Why do you spread yourself so thin? Because you are giving minimal effort to a bunch of things as opposed to giving everything you have to the things that are important to you.” Immediately I rebutted saying how it is important to be active in school for the community, and for colleges to see. I have major goals for my life ahead of me like college and eventually med school. Everything I do now, like a lot of people, is for the benefit of my future.

While it may seem terrible now, and everything is super frustrating, it will get better. You may want to call me out on my bluff, and yell at me because its 11:45 PM you have an essay due at midnight and you are only halfway through the introduction; and are lowkey having a breakdown. Well guess what, we have all been there, and soon it will get better. I’m going to leave you with the only phrase that has gotten me through my short years of high school,”sleep is for the weak!”