Photojournalist from local paper provided students with career snapshot

A photojournalist’s job is to convey a news story with images. This may seem like a simple, fun job and part of that may be true, just not the simple part. A photojournalist has to travel all over the world, get in on the action, and know when and how to capture the best shot.  It’s a job that takes a lot of heart, time and dedication.

Erica Miller is a photojournalist that works for the Saratogian.  Students taking Journalism and Creative Writing got the opportunity to meet with her this past Monday.  She provided students with a lot of information  about her job, how she got started, and what led up to her becoming a photojournalist. She attended SUNY Plattsburgh uncertain of what she really wanted to be. After the first semester she decided that she wanted to go into the photography field.  Miller eventually became an intern in the LOB Democratic Photography Department.  She also was the Photo Editor for Cardinal Points, Plattsburgh State’s student publication.   Erica graduated from college in 2006 after majoring in Art and minoring in Journalism.   

When asked what her favorite part of her job was, she responded with “Every day is a different day.”  She explained how she loves how her job keeps her on her toes and changes from day to day. One minute she is learning a multitude of facts about cows and the next she is driving to a re-enactment of an event that occurred in the Revolutionary War. She has access to new experiences on a daily basis.

Miller’s goal is to always get the best shot and have the best out of everyone else shooting the same scene. One thing that Erica stressed was developing connections with people so you get the scoop on a developing story first. She uses a lot of social media to stay in the know and to get her pictures out to the world.  She mentioned Instagram, Tout, Vine and Twitter and follows many of her co-workers to scout which events to go to next.  She did caution us to keep our work and personal lives separate when it comes to the emotions inherent in filming vigils or hardships as well as communicating digitally.  She has two phones–one belongs to The Saratogian and one is for personal use.

Erica does a lot of traveling locally and nationally.   Locally, she goes to football games, to schools, and to the track in Saratoga at 5 in the morning to photograph horses.   She also spends a lot of time near courthouses, trying to get the “perp walk” shot.

She warns all future photojournalists to dress for anything and come prepared. Avoid skirts, ladies.  She pointed out that you have to climb (sometimes in to bushes filled with bees at the track) or get low to the ground to get a good shot.  Also, sometimes people don’t see you there.  Erica has been knocked in to when trying to get a shot before at a sporting event.  She also says to wear layers– “Football games get cold.”  She also advised that a pencil is a good idea in the winter due to the fact that ink can freeze.  Another tip for the ladies–mascara and snow, not a good combo.

Towards the end of the discussion, a student asked Erica what she thought her purpose as a photojournalist: “I want to show the audience what they wouldn’t be able to see.”

Miller showed photos which ranged from people crying to children with pumpkins. One of the favorite pictures was one of a horse being hosed down.  It was taken at just the right moment to see precisely the action of both the water droplets and the horse.

Students in Mrs. K’s class tweeted Erica or e-mailed her to thank her for visiting with them.  Autumn Antos andKaitee Horstmann helped Erica out photographing an event this past Saturday in downtown Saratoga.  Check out the link below.

http://media.saratogian.com/2013/10/27/photos-saratoga-downtown-fall-festival-photoshoot/