Watch It. Read It. Click It.

Eagles Media Center

Watch It. Read It. Click It.

Eagles Media Center

Watch It. Read It. Click It.

Eagles Media Center

Voice Your Opinion

Do you want 6 more weeks of winter?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Mind over Matter

Mind over Matter

The phrase “mind over matter,” can mean many things. It’s a phrase that explains in simple words that the intellectual powers of your mind can override threats, difficulties, and problems in your life. To me, it means that I can overcome any obstacle that gets in my way. Being a cross country runner of almost 5 years, I’ve had to deal with pouring rain, mud puddles, and pain while running. I’ve always made it to the finish line, along with everyone on our team. When I’m running and freezing cold; my hands feel like they can’t move, when it’s pouring rain; it feels like pins are stuck in my legs, and when I’m running through deep mud puddles, my feet want to go numb. Yet I make it to the end. I do this in by getting a motivating song stuck in my head and match my breathing to the songs beat, or I just stare straight ahead in front of myself so I don’t think. I do these things because it helps me push myself. In other words, I run by the phrase of “mind over matter.”

I can’t even count how many people I hear talking about the obstacles they have in day to day life and how they don’t believe they’ll find a way around them. When it comes time for us to run our miles in gym class, I see multiple people walking the entire thing that could being running it, even if it’s just for one or two laps. I even see people who try their hardest to run the mile when it’s hard them, even though most of the people who are walking, could in fact, be running. Those people who try to run the mile but feel as though they can’t are a perfect example for being the type of person who thinks life is about “mind over matter.”

You can do whatever you want to do. You just need guts, ambition, a great outlook on life, and the realization that you can almost always beat the odds.

View Comments (2)
About the Contributor
Christine Staufenberg
Christine Staufenberg, Music Reporter, Editor
Christine Staufenberg is a Junior who runs the Music Section with her partner Giuliana Martone. She likes journalism and writing because she thinks it's a great form of self expression, communication, and can be a source of inspiration and information. She mainly writes about album releases, concerts, and music in general. She is a part of the Varsity Cross Country and Track teams, and spends her time dancing Ballet in Saratoga, watching Doctor Who, hiking, and various kinds of art making. She plans on helping the website become a great hit and making a career as a English Professor.

Comments (2)

All Eagles Media Center Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• M

Mr SwainJun 10, 2013 at 10:48 am

I love your last sentence….so true!

Reply
  • K

KellenJun 7, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Awwwww yeahhh lookin’ good rob

Reply