Watch It. Read It. Click It.

Eagles Media Center

Watch It. Read It. Click It.

Eagles Media Center

Watch It. Read It. Click It.

Eagles Media Center

Voice Your Opinion

Do you want 6 more weeks of winter?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

A season preview

A season preview

The 2012-13 wrestling is upon us as the weight certifications are nearly here. They are at several different locations, but Galway goes to Schalmont. That’s beside the point though. Galway wrestling is looking to be very tough with a promising squad. The numbers this year are astounding! The only weight we cannot fill is the 99 lb weight class, but other than that, we have a guy or two at each of the weights. At 106 lbs is Nico Riccio, a senior who is a state qualifying hopeful. Last season, he was a Section 2 Class C runner-up as he followed up with a fourth place finish at the Section 2 State qualifying tournament held at the Glens Falls Civic Center. He came in with a 26-8 record and was seeded 5th. Spending an entire spring and summer wrestling with the Journeymen Wrestling Club, he is ready to make a run at a top spot on the podium at Glens Falls. He is also an experienced freestyle and Greco-roman competitor by placing 2nd and 3rd at the New York State Freestyle and Greco-roman tournament.

At 113 lbs, Jordan Sartin is looking to cement his name and take a run a glory. A promising seventh grader coming up from modified, Jordan will be a tough go for anyone at this weight. He has had success wrestling in some of the biggest tournaments on the youth circuit.

A returning sectional qualifier is Dean Poulin at 120lbs. He placed in the top 4 at class C’s last season. Nick Webb-Horvath, a promising sophomore will look to step up and start at 126 lbs. A tough and disciplined competitor, Nick will be solid at this weight. He also wrestled with Journeymen during the summer.

At 132 lbs, senior and returning sectional qualifier comes in Colin Ainsworth. He is looking to end his career with a bang by placing at Glens Falls.Sophomore Steven Culbert who placed 3rd at Glens Falls and won Class C’s, Steven wrestled some tough matches in the off-season with Journeymen as well. Expect some pretty big things from Steven this year! At 145 lbs, junior Jay Oakes is looking strong. He placed 5th at a deep weight at Glens Falls wrestling 138 lbs as well as a 2nd place finish at Class C’s. Jay will create some problems for any opponent. Jay was 2 wins shy of becoming a Greco-Roman All-American at Fila Cadet Nationals before going down in the quarter finals with a concussion.At 152 lbs, is senior and sectional qualifier Austin Izzo. Izzo will be tough to stop this year as well and can surprise some folks this year. Senior Ryan Pappalau will be a rock at 160 lbs. He has a never say die attitude and is very relentless which led him to a second place finish at 160 lbs last year at C’s. Junior John Mulligan will be at 170 lbs and is a defiant scrapper. Sophomore Andrew Gilchrist will be at 182 lbs. He is young, but he is another kid you shouldn’t sleep on. Seth Carter may be at 195 lbs, but after his first season which was last year, but he has a handle on things. Seth spent significant time in the off-season getting stronger and more athletic. Seth is a junior and he looks to a promising starter. Freshman Justin Hardcastle will be the “big man on campus” as he will be the Heavyweight. He is a dependable heavyweight. S Travis Longworth, Austin Scheeren, Noah Wicks, Devin Collins, Nate Galloway, and Senior Kyle Moffat have great potential and ability to step up to win matches at the varsity level. Kyle Moffat will most likely be at 152 lbs but could come down to 145 lbs after the Christmas break. He had a pretty stellar first year last season.

Galway Wrestling will be a successful team this season. As a team, Galway was a Section 2 Class C runner-up and Mike Sartin and Joe Culbert were head and junior varsity coaches of the year for Class C. Expect some fireworks this season!

View Comments (4)
About the Contributor
Nico Riccio
Nico Riccio, Staff Writer
Nico is a senior who became part of EMC in the fall.  He is a wrestler and wants the Galway community to be in the know about the team and the success they're capable of.  He looks forward to making to States this year.   He has  a cocoa lab named Tracie.

Comments (4)

All Eagles Media Center Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• J

Jay and BenDec 20, 2012 at 12:21 pm

So Mr. Riccio, how is the team doing so far, coming into the christmas break?

Reply
  • R

Ryan PapapaluDec 20, 2012 at 12:19 pm

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EAGLES!

Reply
  • N

nicoNov 20, 2012 at 1:37 pm

also, nate galloway may be the starting 126 lber

Reply
  • N

nicoNov 20, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Nick Webb-Horvath did not certify for 126 lbs but he will look to compete at 134 after the x-mas break possibly. We lost a valuable asset as heavyweight Justin Hardcastle went down with a broken fibula which is extremely unfortunate.

Reply