Watch It. Read It. Click It.

Eagles Media Center

Watch It. Read It. Click It.

Eagles Media Center

Watch It. Read It. Click It.

Eagles Media Center

Voice Your Opinion

Do you want 6 more weeks of winter?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The mall rules

The mall rules

Visiting the mall, especially with friends, is always a fun experience. With stores, the movie theater and the food court it’s a fun hangout for everyone. But now there are rules and regulations to limit that fun at the mall. While shopping at Crossgates Mall this September, I heard a loud noise coming from the overhead speakers as I was walking out of PacSun. A voice came over the loud speakers announcing to the whole mall “All minors under the age of 18 must leave the mall area if they are not accompanied by an adult over the age of 21”.

I stood there with my mother as we listened to this announcement, and we suddenly saw people my age scurrying out of the mall. We then spotted about five security guards patrolling the area and looking for minors. One of them even approached me but then he realized that I was with my mother.  Here is the dialogue that ensued:
Renee: What do you call this rule?

Peter: It’s called the “Parental Escort Policy”.

Renee: When did this policy become instituted?

Peter: A little over seven (7) years ago.

R: Wow! I didn’t know that this policy had been around for so long. Do you know why this rule was put into effect?

P: Kids tend to cause a lot of trouble around here. In the past, many fights have broken out and people have gotten hurt. We all believe that this new policy will make the experience for everyone in the mall far more enjoyable. This policy also stops kids from coming in and loitering around. Some business owners even say this policy is better for business. Instead of kids coming in with twenty dollars, parents are coming in with their credit cards. There are a lot of different aspects. Some people even say they even feel more welcome at the mall now.

R: Who came up with the initial idea to put this policy into place? Were you guys just following the trend among other malls across the country?

P: A little bit of both, but the initial idea came from mall management.

R: Is there certain days and times that this policy is put into place?

P: This policy is put into place from 4:30 PM to 9:30 PM, Friday through Sunday.

R: Is this a form of age discrimination?

P: No, I honestly think this is in no way discriminating against young people. I believe people under the age of 18 should have a mature adult with them to help reduce problems.

R: Do you believe that there are any negative effects of this rule?

P: I think overall it’s just a great policy. If anything negative comes up in the future I believe we’d be able to quickly subdue the problem.

R: Has there been any cases where people reacted harshly?

P: It’s usually the parents that get upset over the policy. They want to drop their kids off at the mall and go off to do their own thing. It’s about time this mall stopped being a babysitter for teenagers.

R: Is this the only mall in the Capital Region that has instituted this rule?

P: I don’t believe any other malls nearby enforce the “Parental Escort Policy”.

R: Thank you for your time and consideration Peter!

P: Any time.
What do you think of the policy? Comment below and let us know!
View Comments (5)
About the Contributor
Renee Rossi
Renee Rossi, Staff Writer
Renee is a freshman who loves to write.  She likes gaining new information and sharing it with others.  She wants to be a published writer.  Her hobbies include playing the ukulele, reading, music and surfing the net.

Comments (5)

All Eagles Media Center Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• C

CourtneyOct 10, 2012 at 1:20 pm

I go to the mall without a parent all the time. I always have my money on hand and I don’t really think I cause trouble either. I can see how this would be helpful and good, but at the same time, what about thwe 16 and 17 year olds that can drive, or work? What if we need something? They just..don’t let us in? Well, until it becomes a larger scale deal it’s not that big of a problem I guess, but still. :I

Reply
  • D

DesertStormer27Sep 27, 2012 at 11:17 am

@Brian Harrington:
    “What if there is a teenager is caught in the mall with a few friends but the adult escort is in a different part of the mall?”

That is why the rule is called the “Parental ESCORT Policy”. According to the rules, the adult is there to ESCORT the minor. Not leave them. It’s as simple as that. I thought it was made clear in the article itself, especially that the article even listed an example that shows pretty much the same situation, a parent leaving the minor in the mall.

@Katelynn
    “It takes away their time to just hang out with their friends, shop and have a good time.”

How do you figure it takes time away? I can understand as to how having a guardian there can be a slow-down, but still, you have to remember, they are the one that brought you there. Also, I don’t see why you can’t do those things with your parent or guardian following. If it is such a big trouble, then bring someone you know that will escort you there for you, without the possibility of awkwardness of being with your parents.

In the end, I think it is critical to remember that going and being in the mall is a privilege, not a right. Such a privilege can, and will be restricted for the better of the majority, which in this case is the shoppers and businesses. So, according to the facts in the article, until we can be in the mall without being overly disruptive and have negative impacts on the other shoppers and businesses, I guess we will have to be escorted. Get used to it.

Reply
  • K

KatelynnSep 26, 2012 at 9:54 am

i belive its great to have that rule if its really busy like holidays but regularly its not very good because kids go there to have fun with their friends and shop. it takes away their time to just hang out with their friends, shop and have a good time.

Reply
  • B

Brian HarringtonSep 26, 2012 at 9:51 am

I think the rule is a good thing but I only have one question, what if there is a teenager is caught in the mall with a few friends but the adult escort is in a different part of the mall? Will the security guards force them out of the mall even if they all claim to have an adult escort with them?

Reply
  • Z

zack herbsSep 26, 2012 at 9:40 am

Awesome article. I didn’t know about the parental escort policy in the mall until I read this article.

Reply