Learn more about local government: Supervisor Lewza

Riley Flint, EMC Staff Writer

EMC Staff Writer, Riley Flint, met recently with Supervisor Dan Lewza Of Milton. Mr. Lewza has worked in this position since January 1st 2012. 

Riley Flint (RF): Thank you Mr. Lewza for having the time to interview today, I just wanted to ask a few questions to better improve the knowledge of local students about their local elected officials. Can you give us some background on your career in politics?

Dan Lewza (DL): As a teenager , my father always made us watch the news and know what was going on in the world and formulate our own opinions. I guess this sounds kind of silly looking back on it, but I wanted to make a difference in the community and in politics. My father got me a job as a campaigner manager and chief of staff for many assemblymen and assemblywomen. I then was called to improve the economy and image of the Town of Milton, where I live with my wife and two daughters. I had other opportunities for higher office being involved in state politics for 15 years. And I like to believe I’m the same person I was 15 years ago.

RF: Can you tell us what happens in the daily life of a supervisor?

DL: Well, everyday is different. Sometimes I have meetings, meet with department heads, and fill out bills/payroll. But as you know, new issues arise daily, and I am willing to address them.

RF: What are some of the policies you have instituted in Milton?

DL:  1. Improving people’s perceptions of the town by avoiding scandals,  cleaning up trash in the community

2. Prepared for economic development by inviting businesses to develop in town

3. Improve employee values and institute ethics reform

RF:  What are your views on the Board of Supervisors?

DL: County government should have separation of powers, with a board of legislators and a separate county executive. This way I can represent my municipality, not the entire County of Saratoga. Terms limits should also be instituted on a town level so that new ideas from all parties could enter Milton and corruption is less of a concern.

RF: What are some town issues that you had to specifically address throughout your tenure?

DL: Well originally I entered office thinking about moving the town hall to a better, modern location. But due to importance of having a town center in the industrial area, and the air space being leased to the airport, I don’t think we could move, especially since the pushback.

RF: What are your views on hearing out the other parties views and incorporating them into the welfare of the town?

DL: Well I have always advocated for listening to everyone’s ideas. I have a lot of respect for the Democratic Party of Milton and have worked together with Democrats and appointed them to influential town committees.

RF: What do you see in the future of the town of Milton? What  advice would you give to the youth and youth successor?

DL: Well we’ve brought businesses to Milton, improved the town image and center, kept our taxes low, and we still have a great deal to due. I would advise kids to never give up on your dreams but remember you can’t please everyone in life. Be your own person; don’t expect special favors or treatment, work for it. To my successor I would advise to keep Milton a great place to live with its unique ambiance and accept new ideas.