Looking in the Rear View: Dr. Bird’s Visit

Gabriella Decker, EMC Staff Writer

On Monday September 26th, Dr. Bird landed here in Galway High School to speak with us about kindness and equality. He showed us a scene from Malcolm in The Middle which all made us laugh, and he showed us a clip of a bus monitor being bullied by students which made us all angry.

Erik Matthews, Brittney Dorrough, Leah Vanderhorst, Skylar Arnold appreciated his props, his personal stories, his humor, and how animated he was.  Tyler Larson, a junior, observed that though Dr. Bird was of a small stature, he certainly had a gigantic message to share.  

I particularly appreciated how Dr. Bird made us feel comfortable and excited to learn, by cracking jokes. I love to make people laugh as well–it calms others and calms my own nerves. I am the mascot you saw at the Pep Rally on Friday. The other day Adam Mancini, a senior,  made a really good joke. He likes to call me the Bird Lady and he said,  “Careful, she may lay an egg if she gets too angry.” It was very funny.

If you liked Dr. Bird’s visit, you should definitely check out Eric Thomas. He is a hip hop motivational speaker. His speech, “How bad do you want to succeed?” is very good.  U.S. History Teacher Mr. Toscano introduced me to his videos on YouTube.  Be sure to thank him if you too are inspired.  

This coming Wednesday is Unity Day.  Wear orange and reflect on Dr. Bird’s message about kindness and starting peace cells.